First I used Duplicolor grease and wax remover on a rag. This may have been a mistake. There were a few places where I got paint on the rag. I wasn't prepared to sand down to bare metal, so I just wiped with a rag once dry, and proceeded.
For primer I used Duplicolor etching primer, and Duplicolor high-build primer.
The etching primer because there were some bare spots, but I ended up coating the whole frame... After the etching primer (I used the whole can, with about 5 minutes between re-coats), I sanded with 400 grit, and again cleaned with the degreaser. After the high-build primer I didn't sand. I kind of liked the flat/coarse texture, so I decided to leave it.
For the top coat, I used a can or Rust-Oleum flat white, covered with Rust-Oleum Pearl Mist (can't find a pic of this).
I really like the look. It's kind of shimmery, not as "clear" or "fine" as the pearl white on my Toyota van - it's kind of creamy silvery... There are a few spots with small runs, a few spots with some rough texture to the finish, and a few spots where dust is in the paint. If someone is interested I'll give some thought to what I. could have done better. For me, my tests are:
- Does it look better from a distance: Yes!
- Does it look better up close: Yes!