My Rides

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Barry Roubaix 2012 - Training Plan

I discussed my goals for the 2012 Barry Roubaix race, this March in Southwestern Michigan in a previous post.  Last year in the 23 mile race, more people finished ahead of me than behind me.  This year, I want more people finishing behind me than ahead of me.

With similar weather & course conditions (cold, dry, sunny) I've estimated that means I need to be 20% faster.  I'm 20% lighter (and shrinking), and I think more powerful (I'll get a measure when I perform my time trial to set my training levels), so I think this is very realistic.  Also, my bike has more cool stickers.

I spent a few hours developing my training plan up through the race.  The concept is outlined in a previous post.  Generally, I'm combining a program which trains/improves lactate threshold, and V02max, with a CrossFit style body-weight strength/balance program.  I have to wait until the end of January to start training, as I recover from a(nother) surgery.

The plan may not make sense to someone who hasn't read both:

  • Chris Carmichael's "The Time-Crunched Cyclist"
  •  Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym"
I use short-hand and Kindle location reference numbers throughout.









No comments:

Post a Comment